Wednesday night Joan Shepp officially opened her new store at 1811 Chestnut Street. The trailblazing Shepp’s flagship store was on Walnut Street for nearly two decades before it was chased from Philadelphia’s Rodeo Drive by rising rents. Joan Shepp then headed for the posh Shops at Liberty Place; although it was very lovely, she yearned for a storefront with the glorious window displays that we’d all grown to love. She’s found that in the beautiful new 9,000-square-foot showroom she now calls home.
Preserve and Restore
• Retained the existing 50’s style stairs
• Kept glass curtain wall facing the courtyard
• Exposed the existing steel roof trusses
• Restored the existing white marble on the facade
• Transform uninhabitable basement into elegant boutique.
• Re-designed the existing storefront with plate glass, black granite and stainless steel.
• Obtained building permit approvals for the multi-level store, without requiring a wheel chair lift
• Created a two hour fire rating for the exposed steel roof trusses using special intunescent paint.
• Used 16ft hight by 1inch thick butt glazing on the storefront